Vastu Shastra tips for the main door/entrance
Direction of the main door
“The main door should always be in the north, north-east, east, or west, as they are considered auspicious. Avoid having the main door in the south, south-west, north-west (north side), or south-east (east side) directions. A door in the south or south-west, can be corrected by using a lead metal pyramid and lead helix. A door in the north-west can be corrected, with a brass pyramid and a brass helix, while a door in the south-east direction can be corrected, by using a copper helix,” suggests Parmar.
The main door should be bigger than any other door in the house and should open in a clockwise manner. Avoid having three doors in a line, parallel to the main door, as this is considered as a serious Vastu defect and can affect the happiness in the home.
Materials used for the main door:
- A wooden door is considered most auspicious for the main entrance.
- South direction: the door should have a combination of wood and metal.
- West: should have metal work.
- Northern door: should have more of silver colour.
- East: should be made of wood and adorned with limited metal accessories.
Decorating the area around the main door
A clean house, especially the main entrance, attracts positive energy. Do not keep dustbins, broken chairs or stools, near the main door.The main door should always have a threshold, (marble or wood), as it is believed that it absorbs negative vibes and allows only positive energy to pass through. Decorate the main door with divine symbols like, Om, swastika, cross, etc., and put rangolis on the floor, as they are considered auspicious and invite good fortune.
Vastu do and don’ts for the main door
- Always have a bright light at the entrance but avoid red lights. The main door should be well-lit in the evening.
- Never place a mirror opposite the main door.
- Decorate the entrance with green plants, if there is space.
- The main door should open at 90 degrees, without any obstacles in the way.
- Ensure that the hinges are oiled regularly and door accessories are polished. There should not be any broken or chipped wood, or missing screws at the entrance. Extra nails must be removed.
- Always put up a name plate. A metal name plate is recommended, if the door is in the north or west direction. Use a wooden name plate, if the door is in the south or east direction